Taking Pets.

Joan01

Hey,

Looking for info on taking my dog to Oz, does anyone know of companies who do this and any idea on approx costs. If anyone has any recommendations I'd be very grateful. Does each state have a quarantine centre?

Many thanks:cute:

Joan

xx

Guest spottymercedes

Hello Joan, There have been lots of threads on this topic in the past, so if you search old threads you will get some good info.

We brought our dalmatian to Melbourne last year with a company called Pet Air. You can search them on google, but don't confuse them with another company called AirPets. It cost £2800 to bring her and then the cost of quarantine on top, which I think was about $500 - $600 can't remember exactly. Pet Air will sort everything out for you so you don't have to do anything yourself. I would definitley recommend them.

A lot of people say Golden Arrow is good too.

Good Luck!

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I have been searching through the threads and have found a lot of useful information. Pet Air and Golden Arrow do seem to be the most recommended. Did you visit your dog while in quarantine? I do feel apprehensive about leaving my dog for so long, and if he'll be well looked after etc.

Joan

Guest spottymercedes
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I have been searching through the threads and have found a lot of useful information. Pet Air and Golden Arrow do seem to be the most recommended. Did you visit your dog while in quarantine? I do feel apprehensive about leaving my dog for so long, and if he'll be well looked after etc.

Joan

Hi Joan,

I didn't visit my dog whilst she was in quarantine and didn't see her for the last week in the uk either. It was quite depressing:cry:. I didn't want to go and see her and then have to leave her again, but it was really hard. I hadn't heard about these dogwalking companies who will go and visit your dog for you and then walk them on your behalf and take photos, take in treats etc, within the quarantine grounds. Had I heard of them then I would definitely have used them. I know a lady on here called Sharon, (the andrews) who is using the dogwalkers at the moment for her dalmatian, Jack. She may be too busy to write on here at the moment as she is about to fly to Perth, but when she has arrived and got access to the internet, I'm sure she will tell you all about them and how good they were with her dog. Maybe you could pm her and when she gets chance I'm sure she will reply.

It is very tough to have to be without your dog whilst they are in quarantine, but you have to ask yourself what the alternative would be and then somehow the 30 days doesn't seem so bad.:smile:

Hi, I've never heard of the dogwalking services myself definately sounds like a good idea. I would find it hard to visit if I was able to as I'd just bawl everytime I had to leave him, and they don't understand why they can't come with you I suppose. Thankyou for the useful information I really appreciate it. Yeah your right 30 days is nothing really compared to never seeing them again. I will look for the andrews and send a PM. Thankyou again for your help :notworthy:

Joan

Hi Joan,

I brought my 2 dogs over from Edinburgh in Oct. 2007. This is the company we used Pet Travel Services They are based in Dunfermline and and the dogs flew out from Edinburgh airport. I found them very good and it was helpful that they were based fairly close by. Cost wise for the 2 I think it was about £5000, plus quarantine and vet expenses for vaccinations. One of my dogs I brought back from Sydney in 2006, so he has done the trip twice with no ill effects. They were fine at the quarantine station, Eastern Creek in Sydney. We found the staff very helpful, when we called and everything was very well run when we collected them. We did not visit, as I felt it would have been too upsetting, for me and them. They were very pleased to see us at the end of the 30 days. I have also heard of people employing dog walkers, but at some of the busier stations this is only possible once a week. My dogs are 2 young boisterious labradors, but they survived the month without exercise and it gave them time to get used to the heat. Hope this is helpful and good luck with your move.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, thanks for replying to me. We have actually found our bumpf from an Emigrate show in Edinburgh and in amongst it was Pet Travel Services. We spoke to the guy at the time and he said they would even come and collect our dog (we stay in Aberdeen) so I think we will go with them as you seem to have had good experience with them. I'm glad you had good experience with the quarantine, that probably is my biggest anxiety. Hate the thought of leaving my dog and not seeing him for over a month.

Are you glad that you made the move? Is Australia everything you hoped for?

Joan

Hi Joan,

I completely understand how you feel, I felt terrible at the thought of my poor babies being locked up for 30 days. But as I said they were absolutely fine, it was me that was the wreck after over a month of not seeing them. This is my second stint in Sydney, we were here from 2002-2006 and then returned to Edinburgh. But we missed loads of things about Oz and when my OH was offered the chance to come back permanently we jumped at it. So yes I am glad we made the move, I still miss home tho, mostly my family. However the lifestyle here is great, lovely weather, people have a mostly positive attitude and the economy is in a much better state than in the UK. I think you have to come with the right attitude to make the best of it and be prepared to be very homesick at times. Hope that's helpful, and if I can help answer any other questions let me know.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

It is reassuring to know that the dogs are well looked after in quarantine, all sorts of irrational things can go through my head. Like if he won't remember me when I go to collect him, or if he'll be all sad and pine for us. Animals are far more adaptable than we think, like you say its us who don't cope. I totally have an open mind, really want to have a better quality of life, and the short time I spent in Oz made me realise how much better the quality of life can be. The big thing is definately leaving loved ones behind. Do you rent at the moment?

Joan

xx

Haven't got a dog, but do have a cat that we have flown over here using PetAir. Definately recommned them. I know that dogs are more expensive than cats, but we were quoted around the £2000 mark for our cat from other companies, and PetAir came in at £800! We have had such a personal and friendly service from them, I would recommend them to anyone. We have only been out here for 3 weeks, so we are picking up our cat in 2 weeks, can't wait for that!!! We haven't visited him in quarantine, but I have spoken to a lady there, who actually put the cat on the phone to me!!! I got the impression that he was being very well looked after.

Good luck :smile:

Lynn xxx

Haven't got a dog, but do have a cat that we have flown over here using PetAir. Definately recommned them. I know that dogs are more expensive than cats, but we were quoted around the £2000 mark for our cat from other companies, and PetAir came in at £800! We have had such a personal and friendly service from them, I would recommend them to anyone. We have only been out here for 3 weeks, so we are picking up our cat in 2 weeks, can't wait for that!!! We haven't visited him in quarantine, but I have spoken to a lady there, who actually put the cat on the phone to me!!! I got the impression that he was being very well looked after.

Good luck :smile:

Lynn xxx

lol.... had to laugh at that ... its got to be julia at byford she did the same to me last week with my dog!! really nice knowing they are animal lovers , and its not just the job! :smile:

Hey Lynn, wow quite a difference between £800 and £2000, just goes to show how its important to shop around. How funny putting your cat onto to the phone, thats quite a nice personal touch. Hope your settling in well to Oz!

Joan

Guest leeanne0312

Hi, does anyone know if their are any restrictions on breed of dog or weight that can increase prices? I have a dogue de bordeaux pup. We are just in the early stages just now but he will be fully grown and about 11 stone when we go!!!:chatterbox: Hope to go to Brisbane. Take it the quarantine is still just the 30 days? I'll be worried sick when the time comes!

Thanks, Leeanne. xxxxx:cute:

we shipped with golden arrow amd i remember taking jack a couple of weeks ago they were telling us about two great danes they had just sent out , not sure now if that was oz or nz ... my dog is a whopping 41 k and stands 28 inch high ... he's a big boy , [plus he lost his personnal bits as a youngter , which made a b it heftier!!] hope this helps! all the best ..

Guest rodly

The cost of shipping your dog is based on how big a crate they require. This is done by length, height and width and not weight. They have to have enough room to stand up and turn around. Most places will ask for these measurement s to give you a quote. Quarantine is 30 days, but think that is worse for owners than dogs.

Guest rodly

Hi Joan,

We bought a house this time or to be more accurate my OH bought it while I was back in Scotland selling up. Last time we rented for 4 years, as we still had house in Edinburgh. We had a good landlord, who was an animal lover. Where are you hoping to settle and should you be out anytime soon? I came in back in October 2007, which was great as I had 2 summers that year.

Lynn

hi all

has anyone used airpets, we have booked them to take our dogs so any feedback much appreiciated.

dobba

We used Airpets to bring our dog and 3 cats here, Airpets collected them from our house to take them to Airpets kennels for four days because the quantine station in Melbourne was full ,and whilst we were staying in Singapore we were phoning every day from there to check on them and the staff were so good with us, their kennel maids would speak to us personally every day and the girl in charge of arranging everything used to be a veterinary nurse and so sorted out all my dogs medical needs, she also sorted out all her special diet both there and in Australia, and she was used to dealing with owner worrying about their babies and so had a really nice manner. They then went to Melbourne for their quarantine and the staff there were also really good . Our dog was'nt exactly friendly with people but became very attached to one of the staff there who then spent extra time with her and this helped with her anxiety until we got her home here. Hope this helps.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi, does anyone know if their are any restrictions on breed of dog Thanks, Leeanne. xxxxx:cute:

The breeds not permitted in Australia are: Dogo Argentino, fila Brazileiro, Japanese tosa, pit bull terrier or American pit bull, Presa Canario

Guest p1nkangel

hi, we are in the very early stages of seeking immigration to Oz & my one mega worry are my two dogs...I must say though that after reading some experiences here it has eased my mind a little.

has anyone ever crated their dogs together on their flight? its just that my two do everything together including sleeping so I strongly feel that their trip would be a lot less stressful for them if they were kept together.

thanks.

hi, we are in the very early stages of seeking immigration to Oz & my one mega worry are my two dogs...I must say though that after reading some experiences here it has eased my mind a little.

has anyone ever crated their dogs together on their flight? its just that my two do everything together including sleeping so I strongly feel that their trip would be a lot less stressful for them if they were kept together.

thanks.

Hi,

Not sure about all pet "shippers", but we used PetAir for our cat and I know that they can put 2 cats/dogs into one crate. I think you get charged slightly less for the 2nd animal if it is sharing a crate. Because PetAir do it, I'm sure that there must be others that do it.

Good luck!

Lynn x

Guest p1nkangel

Hi Lynn

Thanks for your reply. It seems PetAir may be our best choice going by recommendations & experiences so that info is great to know.

Thankyou

Lavinia xx

Archived